The Old Mill Theatre is fortunate to be operating out of one of the most historic buildings in South Perth. It was opened in 1899 as a Mechanics Institute Hall. South Perth Council bought the building in 1913 and renamed it the Mends Street Hall. The council still owns the building, and supports our use of it, re-dedicating it formally to the Old Mill Theatre in 2009. The building first became a home of theatre in 1948, when the South Perth Dramatic Society moved in. The name Old Mill Theatre was first used in 1958, and the company was incorporated in 1959. In 2009, the theatre celebrated its 60th anniversary.
A number of significant changes to the building have occurred over the past few years, with major extensions completed in 2002. An understage tunnel, which links our two backstage dressing rooms, and enables easier access from one side of the stage to the other, was completed in 2008. Bathroom facilities have also been installed backstage as part of this project, which is wholly self-funded.
The Old Mill Theatre is fortunate to have strong support from the City of South Perth. The city undertook major renovations to the exterior of the building in 2008 and the theatre is looking better now than ever before.
How we operate
We are a not-for-profit organisation. Our directors, actors and other staff do what they do because of a love for theatre – we are all volunteers. We’re very proud of the reputation that we have earned for putting on some of the best live theatre in Perth.
Board of Management
The theatre is governed by a Board of Management. The board consists of eight members elected at an AGM. Members are elected to the board for two-year terms and these are staggered so only four positions are elected each year. Any person who has been a member of the theatre for the previous two years may nominate for a position on the board.
Board members elect executive positions (chair, vice-chair and treasurer) at its first meeting of the year. Our current chairman is Rex Gray.
The current board comprises:
Rex Gray (Chairman)
Phil Barnett (Vice Chairman)
Paul Bray (Treasurer)